Birzeit University is an independent, not-for-profit institution of higher education, overseen by an autonomous Board of Trustees. The University seeks to maintain excellence in teaching and learning, to advance knowledge through research, and to contribute to community service.
Birzeit believes firmly in freedom of thought and expression, democratic practices, intellectual pluralism and civilized discourse. The University endeavors to produce leaders who hold themselves to high standards of personal integrity and are committed to critical and innovative thinking and lifelong learning. The University strives to contribute to human civilization as an extension of Arab-Islamic heritage.
Birzeit University endeavors to remain the leading institution of higher education in Palestine, recognized for its distinction in education, research and community service, in addition to serving as the institution of choice for the most promising students and academics in Palestine.
The University seeks to maintain its pre-eminent role as a higher-education institution graduating leaders from all walks of life. The University strives to become one of the best universities in the Arab world in the medium-term, and a world-class University of global repute in the long-term.
- Excellence: Birzeit University seeks to achieve pre-eminence in everything that it does: education, research, leadership, artistic expression and community service.
- Freedom and Equality: A University atmosphere based on mutual respect, academic freedom and freedom of expression. Birzeit University seeks to treat all individuals and community members with respect, dignity, fairness, understanding and transparency; and to celebrate differences in perspectives, beliefs, traditions and experiences within an atmosphere of academic freedom and freedom of expression.
- Diversity: Birzeit University seeks to nurture a student body that is representative of Palestinian diversity: socially, economically and geographically. The University admits qualified students irrespective of economic and social status or physical disadvantages.
- Social Responsibility: Birzeit University utilizes its creativity and intellect to responsibly address local and regional needs, thereby contributing to the development of society, the environment and heritage. The University is committed to instilling into its students the spirit of voluntarism, community service and professionalism.
- Integrity: Birzeit University cherishes personal responsibility, integrity, impartiality, fairness, accountability and honesty, and seeks to uphold them in its practices.
- Concern for the Environment: Birzeit University seeks to disseminate and promote environmental awareness and respect for nature, and to ensure that this is reflected in its practices.
- Professional Ethics: Birzeit University seeks to hold all members of the University community - faculty, students and staff - to the highest standards of professional ethics, and strives to instill ethical sensitivity in its students.
- Lifelong Learning: Birzeit University seeks to enable its graduates to love and celebrate life, through a lifelong quest for knowledge, understanding and personal growth.