Our Timeline

1924

Nabiha Nasir (1891-1951) establishes an elementary school in Birzeit for girls.

1930

Birzeit School becomes a coeducational high school.

1942

Birzeit High School becomes Birzeit College.

1953

Birzeit College offers first-year university-level courses in arts and science.

1962

Birzeit College grants first associate degrees.

1967

Elementary, preparatory and high school curricula are cancelled; Birzeit College focuses exclusively on higher education.

1972

A Board of Trustees is formed to assume full governance responsibility;
Faculty of Arts is established;
Faculty of Science is established.

1976

Birzeit College becomes Birzeit University and starts to award BA and BS degrees;
Birzeit University is accepted in as a member of the Association of Arab Universities.

1977

Birzeit First Master’s program was launched offering a degree in education;

Birzeit University is accepted as a member of the International Association of Universities.

1978

The Faculty of Business and Economics is established.

1979

The Faculty of Engineering and Technology is established.

1980

The official opening of the new campus.

1991

Birzeit Center for Continuing Education was established.

1994

A new MS program was added, the MS in Law, Gender Studies and International Studies.

1995

The Faculty of Graduate Studies is established.

2004

The Faculty of Law and Public Administration is established.

2006

The Department of Information Technology is established at the Faculty of Engineering and Technology.

2009

The Faculty of Nursing and Allied Health Professions is established (today it is the Faculty of Nursing, Pharmacy and Health Professions).

2010

The Faculty of Education is established.

2015

BZU became part of the QS classification (best 3% universities in the world).